Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Week 2: Healthy Eating Goal

This week's healthy eating goal is to leave food on my plate.
This may sound weird, but it has a huge impact for me.
When I was growing up, my parents would set the timer for me to eat my carrots or whatever other food I didn't like. When the timer went off, if I hadn't eaten it I would get a spanking. I was always told to eat all of my food. I am sure that most people were told to eat everything on their plate when they were growing up. I vowed never to do that (the timer and spanking thing) to my kids. Now, I have to admit, I did this to Ashley once. She has a very difficult time eating anything other than chicken nuggets. I was trying everything I could think of to get her to eat a variety of foods. I cried as I did it (more like as I forced Jeff to do it). We never did it again. We found other means that have worked fairly well without crying or pain (hopefully- but Ashley might disagree).
Anyway, leaving a little bit of food on my plate seems to leave me with a sense of discipline. I feel empowered by it. It may sound strange, but try it. You might be surprised. I am also trying very hard to teach my children to eat only until they are satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment